My family had been having a hard time financially these days. But I never thought it wouid get this bad.
I stood outside my school, cold in my three-year-old jean jacket that was definitely not seasonal. I was waiting for my mother to come pick me up, as she usually does. She arrived late, as usual. I hopped into the car, but said nothing. She usually asks me how my day was, and I usually reply with one word. But today she didn't really say anything at all. She started driving the opposite direction of where we lived, so I asked where she was going. She said she needed to pick up a few things at the store. I was uninterested because I knew neither of us had money, so I wouldn't be getting anything.
I really wanted a new jacket. One that would actually keep me warm because the Canadian weather was slowly turning colder and colder everyday we approached winter. My mom pulled up infront of our local Wal-Mart. We usually do our groceries there, so I figured we'd finally be getting so food in our house. But no. This is when things got really weird. We started walking towards the cosmetic section first. My mom explained that she needed to buy makeup, and maybe a shirt. These are words that typically came up if we went to the mall, but never while walking into Wal-Mart.
At this point, I had somewhat accepted the fact that we had practically hit rock bottom. We were buying our sweaters at Wal-Mart. I don't care if this sounds spoiled. My whole life my family was making good money, and I never had to worry about if I was going to have a winter jacket, and now we're shopping at Wal-Mart for something other than food. I was ashamed walking out of that building. I tried to hide my bags behind my back incase I ran into somebody I knew.
On the bright side, I got gloves for 89 cents.

Hello Destiny!
ReplyDeleteReading your posts reminds me of what Oprah once said.
"Everyone wants to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down.”
Also,
“I would rather be able to appreciate things I cannot have than to have things I am not able to appreciate.”
― Elbert Hubbard
Nice to read your honest reflections. Incidentally, I am a big fan of Walmart. It makes me happy when I get things for a fraction of the price I would have paid elsewhere. I call it my "shopping smirk"! Happy Hallowe'en, M. Morton